The venues of the Leipzig Bach Festival 2018

 

Leipzig Bach Festival 2018 takes place at 40 different venues in and around Leipzig. Here you can find information about all of them.

Böhlen, St. Christophoruskirche

© architektur blicklicht

 

The church in Böhlen probably dates back to the twelfth century. It was first mentioned in 1540 and is the oldest building in Böhlen. It is a hall church, with a straight, enclosed chancel and broad, rectangular tower at the western end. The foundations of the nave, tower and the base of the altar are Romanesque. The altarpiece and pulpit date from the first half of the seventeenth century. The Gothic window jambs in the chancel and tower, and the font bearing an inscription from 1613, are in sandstone. The organ was built by the Donat brothers from Altenburg in 1794.

During the last major renovation in 1904, the church was given a sacristy, porch and new stalls, and coloured stained-glass windows were installed in the chancel. Late-Gothic sculptures of the apostles and saints (ca 1500) and two of the three bronze bells in the belfry were taken from Zeschwitz village church that was destroyed in 1941. The church underwent thorough restoration in 2006 from roof to cellar, including the façade.

 

Address
Karl-Marx-Straße 12
04564 Böhle

Brandis, Stadtkirche

© architektur blicklicht

 

The church in Brandis (Brandeitz) is first mentioned a document dated 1121. Remains of masonry from the nave and crossing, some plasterwork on the eastern side of the tower near the roof and a small window on the south side of the nave are Romanesque.

The chancel and sacristy date from the late-Gothic period, the second half of the fifteenth century. On the north side of the chancel is a small tabernacle with an epitaph by its side and the effigy of a child in clerical garb. The south transept is sixteenth century. Beneath it lies the patrons’ crypt, which today is closed. The church interior was renovated around 1700, with a new altar, pulpit and patrons’ gallery, thanks mainly to donations from the church patron, Krafft Burchhard von Bodenhausen. The organ was built by Christoph Donat the Elder in 1705. The tower was topped in 1732 by an octagonal stage with a Baroque spire, sphere and weather vane. A clock was installed in the tower in 1741, the mechanism of which is still extant.

 

Address
Kirchplatz 2
04821 Brandis
http://www.stadtkirche-brandis.de

Eisenberg, Christiansburg Castle Chapel

 

The former castle of Christiansburg (today the offices of the district administration, or Landratsamt) and its chapel of the Holy Trinity is located in Eisenberg, the principal town of the Saale-Holzland district in Thuringia. It is considered the most magnificent Baroque church in Thuringia. The castle chapel was built between 1680 and 1692 on behalf of Duke Christian of Saxe-Eisenberg, who lived in the Christiansburg around 1680. Italian painters and plasterers designed the interior, decorating it with countless ceiling and wall frescoes, as well as paintings and stucco work. The apse is especially effective: the daylight entering through the massive dome falls behind the monumental, freestanding altar and bathes it in ethereal light. The two-manual organ was built in 1683 under the supervision of Leipzig organ-builder Christoph Donat and extended by fellow organ-builder Trost in 1731. The castle chapel underwent several restorations in the twentieth century and was finally re-consecrated in 1992, 300 hundred years after its initial consecration. Today it is open for individual viewing and guided tours. It is also available for concerts and weddings, and a church service is held there once a month.

 

Address
Schloss 1
07607 Eisenberg
www.thueringen-tourismus.de

Frauenprießnitz, Sankt-Mauritius-Kirche

 

The former Cistercian convent near the Zwickauer Mulde river that gave the town of Frauenpriessnitz its name (Frauen = women) was built before 1250. Only much later, in the first half of the fourteenth century, did the convent gain the addition of the church of St. Maurice. After alteration, additions, fire, reconstruction and, finally, restoration from 1978 to 1983, the nave took on the appearance we know today. However, the chancel has survived more or less in its original historical form. Some remnants of Gothic wall paintings have also been conserved there. But the predominating feature of the church interior is the majestic organ in the west gallery. The result of a major expansion of the former organ, it was dedicated in 2008 and, with its 54 stops, has provided a rich diversity of sound in church services and concerts since then.

 

Address
MTS-Straße 6
07774 Frauenprießnitz
www.eisenberg.ekmd-online.de

 

Gerichshain, Church

 

The first documentary record of Gerichshain (Gerungishain) dates from 1350. Located in the town centre, the church of Gerichshain is a Baroque edifice built in 1785 following the demolition of the existing church. Its features of special interest include a precious Trampeli organ dating from 1803, a historical sun dial carved in stone at the rear of the tower, and two mediaeval bells. The pulpit-altar fills the entire height of this hall church and, with its side panels, the entire breadth as well. It dates from 1785. The octagonal, sandstone baptismal font dates from the second half of the nineteenth century. The church of Gerichshain was completely restored and renovated inside and out in 1997-98 and 2001.

 

Adresse
Kirchstraße
04827 Machern

Horburg, St. Mary’s Church

© Freundeskreis der Madonna

 

Horburg is first mentioned in documents dating from the year 1124. However, there may have been a fortification acting as refuge on this site even in the tenth century. Horburg became a place of importance thanks to its weeping statue of the Madonna, which for a long period made it an important place of pilgrimage for the devout. Coinciding with the local assizes from 1277 onward, a pilgrimage to the Madonna came to be held on the Feast of the Nativity of Mary (September 8), which continued even after the Reformation. The sculpture dates from around 1250-60 and bears a stylistic resemblance to the work of the unknown sculptor known as the »Naumburg Master«. It is presumed to have come to the church as a result of the relations between the lords of Horburg and the Cistercian monastery of Pforta. The statue was destroyed in the seventeenth century. Only in 1930 did it become possible to rescue and reconstruct fragments of the Madonna. The church in Horburg burned down on November 22, 1773, owing to negligence in the use of a half-finished oven. The organ, built by Friedrich Gerhardt, was dedicated in 1888.

 

Address
Burgauenstraße 7
06237 Leuna

Leipzig, Alte Börse

© Bach-Archiv Leipzig/Brigitte Braun

 

The Old Stock Exchange (Alte Handelsbörse) was built in the Baroque style by Johann Georg Starcke between 1678 and 1687, making it Leipzig’s first Baroque edifice. One striking feature is its symmetrical design. The centrepiece of its splendidly decorated façade is the coat of arms of the City of Leipzig. The initiative to construct the building came in April 1678 from 30 important merchants, the tradition having evolved of meeting together in a neutral place after the conclusion of major business transactions in order to seal the agreement. Trade took place in the vaulted rooms of the ground floor and stock market business in the reception room, which is accessed via a dual stairway. Today, small concerts and readings are held in the reconstructed building.
 

Address
Naschmarkt
04109 Leipzig
www.stadtgeschichtliches-museum-leipzig.de


not wheelchair accessible


Public Transport
S-Bahnlinien 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5X (station Markt), Straßenbahnlinien 4, 7, 15, 16 (station Augustusplatz), 3, 9 (station Thomaskirche), Buslinie 89 (station Markt)

Leipzig, Altes Rathaus

© LTM/Andreas Schmidt

 

The Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus) in Leipzig is Germany’s oldest Renaissance town hall and was designed by Hieronymus Lotter in 1556; in the periods following, it underwent a number of reconstructions. One such reconstruction included the addition in 1599 of a platform above the town hall tower balcony used by the waits twice a day to perform the tower music. Inside, on the north face of the banqueting hall, there still survived the historical waits’ pew resting on Ionic columns arranged along walls that are covered with original paintings of Saxon sovereigns, Leipzig town councillors, majors and town magistrates. Immediately next to the banqueting hall there is a conference room called »Ratsstube« where Johann Sebastian Bach undersigned his contract as cantor of St. Thomas' and »Director musices«. Besides, this room exhibits one of the two paintings that are acknowledged to be definitely original portraits of Johann Sebastian Bach painted in oils by the Saxon court painter and appointed painter of the Leipzig town council Elias Gottlob Haussmann in 1746.

 

Address
Markt 1
04109 Leipzig
www.stadtgeschichtliches-museum-leipzig.de


wheelchair accessible


Public transport
S-Bahnlinien 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5X (station Markt), Straßenbahnlinien 4, 7, 15, 16 (station Augustusplatz), 3, 9 (station Thomaskirche), Buslinie 89 (station Markt)

Leipzig, Bach-Museum mit Sommersaal

© Bach-Archiv Leipzig/Martin Klindtworth

 

The Bose House that was built in the 16th century and which is situated in front of the St. Thomas Church, is home to the Bach Archive Leipzig and is part of the oldest buildings on the St. Thomas churchyard. A speciality is the Sommersaal (Summer Hall) that is unique in its form, a Baroque ballroom that was built by the then owner Georg Heinrich Bose in the course of an enlargement of the house in 1711. Already at that time the hall which could not be heated and could therefore only be used in summer attracted attention. In a document from 1731 it is described as a »precious« and »well decorated« room. The musician’s gallery that can be shut away with the help of a ceiling painting and that is situated above the hall and is called sound or echo chamber is a specialty of the room. There is place for up to 6 musicians on each side – depending on the instrument. They can play at festivities without being seen or disturbing.

As historical sources had not been considered much in the renovation for the 300th anniversary of Johann Sebastian Bach (1985), now after the renovation of 2002 concert and museum visitors are able to see the room in the state Bach might have seen it. The mirrors that are installed in the wall are in their three parts and the kind of fuzzy visual effect comes close to Baroque reality and the modest seeming curtains made of lined painted canvas were common for middle-class houses.During the complete renovation of the Bose House in 2008 and 2009, the summer hall was not much changed only the colour was refreshed and provides new splendour.

 

Address
Thomaskirchhof 16
04109 Leipzig
www.bachmuseumleipzig.de


wheelchair accessible


Public transport
Bus 89, tram 9 (stationThomaskirche)

Leipzig, Bundesverwaltungsgericht

 

In 2002, the Federal Administrative Court (Bundesverwaltungsgericht) moved into the building of what was formerly the supreme court of the German Reich at the Simsonplatz. Its construction lasted from 1888 to 1895 and evokes Italian late Renaissance as well as French Baroque styles. It resembles the Berlin Reichstag building which originated in the same period. With regard to both form and function, the interior models itself on its initially intended function as a supreme court. The sculptures and lavish murals found in this building reflect issues such as criminal investigation, judgment, execution and mercy. The interior of the Grand Courtroom is decorated in a particularly magnificent style with allegories and the courts of arms of all of the federal states of that time emblazoned across its walls. Accommodating the supreme court of the German Reich, the building served its initial purpose from 1895 to 1945.

It was heavily damaged during Second World War before it was rehabilitated and became the new home of the Museum of Fine arts (Museum der bildenden Künste) in 1952. It underwent a major rehabilitation from 1998 to 2001.


wheelchair accessible

 

Address
Simsonplatz 1

Leipzig, Evangelisch Reformierte Kirche

 

The Evangelical-reformed Church (Evangelisch-reformierte Kirche) was built in 1896–1899 to the plans of the Leipzig master builder Georg Weidenbach and his associate Richard Tschammer. It was the first historicist religious building in Leipzig to be influenced by the architecture of the Renaissance. On 4 December 1943, it was badly damaged by incendiary bombs. Reconstruction began immediately to a simplified interior design, corresponding to the basic Weidenbach type. With the communion table, pulpit and organ, with which the seating is aligned, arranged one above the other, the interior complies with requirements laid down by the so-called Wiesbaden Programme of 1891 for the design of Evangelical churches. The church obtained a Jehmlich organ in 1968. The last interior and exterior renovations were carried out in 1992–1996, with the result that the church now re-exerts its old influence from its dominant position on the northern city ring.

Address
Tröndlinring 7
04105 Leipzig
www.reformiert-leipzig.de


wheelchair accessible


Public transport
Tram 1, 3, 4, 7, 12, 13, 15 (station Goerdelerring)

Leipzig, forum thomanum

 

»forum thomanum – ein großer Platz des Geistes, der der lebendigen Pflege von Musik gewidmet ist und zwar den Menschen, die am meisten begeisterungs- und entwicklungsfähig sind: der Jugend.«(»A grand spiritual place dedicated to musical culture that addresses those people who are most promising thanks to their enthusiastic resources: young people.«) Herbert Blomstedt, Music Director of the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra 1998-2005

By 2012 – which marked the 800th anniversary of Saint Thomas Church, St. Thomas Boys Choir (Thomanerchor) and St. Thomas School (Thomasschule) – an international education centre is due be completed that is committed to the Thomanerchor and Thomasschule and will include a day-care centre, a primary school, an international youth music academy and the Luther Church (Lutherkirche), the latter forming the centre of the prospected campus which will be reconstructed as a place of worship, school auditorium, concert hall, theatre and recording studio.

Addresses
Hillerstraße 7, 8
Sebastian-Bach-Straße 3
Ferdinand-Lassalle-Straße 25
04109 Leipzig
www.forum-thomanum.de


with help accessible for wheelchair users


Public transport
Tram 1, 14 (station Marschnerstraße)

Leipzig, Gewandhaus

 

The Gewandhaus Orchestra owes its name to the place where it first performed, the hall opened in 1781 above the cloth store of the building of the clothmakers’ guild (Gewandhaus) in the historic Neumarkt. Just over a century later, on 11 December 1884, the New Gewandhaus, designed by the architects Martin Gropius and Heinrich Schmieden was officially opened in the »music quarter« of the city, opposite the University Library, earning praise for its outstanding acoustic qualities and the visual appeal of its inspired architecture. On 20 February 1944, it was badly damaged in an air raid and never rebuilt; the burned-out, shored up ruins were eventually demolished in 1968. For 35 years, the Conference Hall at the Zoo served as the base for the Gewandhaus Orchestra until, on 8 October 1981, the (second) New Gewandhaus was inaugurated on Karl-Marx-Platz (now renamed Augustusplatz) after a construction period of four years. In addition to the large hall with seating for almost 2000, the building has a smaller hall seating around 500 which, following renovations at the end of 1997, was named the Mendelssohn Hall.

 

Address
Augustusplatz 8
04109 Leipzig
www.gewandhaus.de


wheelchair accessible


Public transport
Tram 4, 7, 15, 16 (station Augustusplatz)

Leipzig, GRASSI Museum für Angewandte Kunst

 

The Grassimuseum is situated close to the city centre Leipzig at the Johannisplatz (John’s Square). The museum was named after a wealthy Leipzig merchant whose inheritance made the construction of several buildings in Leipzig possible. The museum complex is not only home to the Museum für Völkerkunde (Museum of Ethnography) and the Museum für Musikinstrumente (Museum for musical instruments) but also to the Museum für Angewandte Kunst (Museum of Applied Arts). At the end of 2007, after extensive renovations, it reopened its doors with the first of altogether three new permanent exhibitions. Entitled »From Antiquity to Historicism«, this first exhibition, which covers 30 rooms, features the oldest holdings of the collection and takes visitors on a journey through 2,500 years of art history. At the end of January 2010, also the second exhibition, entitled »Asian Art. Impulses for Europe«, opened its doors; the third, »From Art Nouveau to the Present Day«, opened in March, 2012.Other attractions of the museum include changing special exhibitions and the GRASSI FAIR hosted every year on the last weekend of October.

Address
Johannisplatz 5–11
04103 Leipzig
www.grassimuseum.de


wheelchair accessible


Public transport
Tram 4, 7, 12, 15 (station Johannisplatz/Grassimuseum)

Leipzig, GRASSI Museum für Musikinstrumente

 

The Grassimuseum is situated close to the city centre Leipzig at the John’s square (Johannisplatz). It was named after a wealthy Leipziger merchant whose inheritance made the construction of several buildings in Leipzig possible. The museum complex is not only home to the Museum of Applied Arts and the Museum of Ethnography but also to one of the largest collections of musical instruments in the world. The history of this collection traces back to the work of the Dutchman Paul de Wit (1852–1925) who lived in Leipzig. He opened in 1886 a museum at the Thomaskirchhof 16, today home to the Bach Museum, where he exhibited historical musical instruments and also played them from time to time. In 1905 the collection was sold to paper maker Wilhelm Heyer from Cologne. After his death the collection became with the help of a great donation by music publisher Henri Hinrichsen part of the possession of the Leipzig University and was brought to the north wing of the then newly built GRASSI Museum where the exhibition was ceremoniously opened on May 30th in 1929.

The Second World War caused severe damages to the collection and a considerable number of exhibits as well as the archive and the library became victims of a fire after a bomb raid in December 1943. The evacuated holdings were only partly brought back in good condition as theft and improper storage caused further losses. In the beginning of the 1950s the museum could be reconstructed and step by step be open again for the public. With specifically buying and several donations the museum’s holding was enlarged in the meantime and is today one of the largest in Germany. After a fundamental restoration the museum was reopened in 2006 and is shining now in new splendour. The museum’s »Zimelien Hall« is a room that fits perfectly for chamber concerts and lectures.

Address
Johannisplatz 5–11
04103 Leipzig
www.grassimuseum.de


wheelchair accessible


Public transport
Tram 4, 7, 12, 15 (station Johannisplatz/Grassimuseum)

Leipzig, Kath. Propsteikirche St. Trinitatis

© Bonifatiuswerk

Following the Reformation, no new Catholic church was built in Leipzig until 1847. However, the church of St. Trinitatis, situated to the west of Pleissenburg castle (today the site of New City Hall), was severely damaged by bombing raids in 1943-44, and in 1954 its ruins were demolished to make way for a new church. The city council kept delaying the decision to rebuild, however, and the second priory church, built on Emil-Fuchs-Strasse bordering Rosental park, was not consecrated until 1982. After just 20 years, damp and building defects caused damage that would have cost more to repair than a new building.
To the south of New City Hall – within view of the site of the original St. Trinitatis – the first foundation stone was finally laid for the new, third, Priory Church of St. Trinitatis on April 27, 2013, and the church was consecrated on May 9, 2015. The design chosen was that of Leipzig architects Schulz & Schulz, first and foremost because of its sustainable approach: the electricity for the church is supplied by photovoltaic panels, and the tower holds a tank to collect rainwater which is treated and used for building maintenance and operation purposes.
This largest church construction project in eastern Germany post 1990 was made possible by numerous donations from private sponsors in Germany and abroad, from numerous companies, from the Bonifatiuswerk church aid organization – and even from the Evangelical Church: St. Thomas’s Church, for example, donated several collections, sending out strong signals in favour of ecumenism in Leipzig.
In 2016, the Priory Church of St. Trinitatis was the main venue of the 100th German Catholic Congress.

Address
Nonnenmühlgasse 2
04107 Leipzig


wheelchair accessible


Public transport
S-Bahn-Linien 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5X (station Wilhelm-Leuschner-Platz), tram 2, 8, 9, 10, 11, 14 (statiom Wilhelm-Leuschner-Platz)

Leipzig, Kongresshalle

© Leipziger Messe

 

Since its opening in 1900, the splendid building, which dates back to the Gründerzeit period in the second half of the 19th century (sometimes called the period of Promoterism) has known a chequered history. The façade, restored to its original design, is now a tangible reminder of the time when the exclusive »Assembly House and Social Centre by the Zoo« was first created. It is a building that has played an important role in the cultural life of the City of Leipzig from the very beginning. At that time, buildings were constructed in the grand manner – to which the high vaulted ceiling of the Großer Saal still bears witness even today.
Ever since it was built, the Kongresshalle has been the subject of continual restructuring and extension – some of it radical. For much of the time, it was the art nouveau and art deco features that dominated the building’s image: the ceiling in the foyer, for instance, was considered as one of the most important examples of art deco in Leipzig. In 1946 the building, which had survived the war with little damage, was modified and became the »Kongreßhalle Leipzig«. The Großer Saal, too, underwent the numerous changes that were required by the various uses to which it was put. Right up until the late 1980s, the venue was the cultural heart of the city as the Gewandhaus Orchestra played here before the new concert hall – the only new one built druing the GDR – was opened in 1981.
Thereafter, because of a lack of funds, it fell into significant disrepair. In 2009, the City of Leipzig took the decision to reinvent the building as a modern congress centre. The extensive building works began in August 2010, all works were completed in early 2016. Since then, the Kongresshalle is being used as a venue for meetings, congresses and events.

 

Address
Pfaffendorfer Straße 31
04105 Leipzig

wheelchair accessible
 

Public transport:
Tram 12 (station Zoo)

Leipzig, LukullusT

© LukullusT

 

Since 2005, LukullusT follows its vision – to get its guest to the stove. Nearly any means is used: fresh and high-quality ingredients, rigional products and international specialities, passion and attention to detail. Guest experience all this in cooking classes, family parties and events. The culinary journey starts here – in a place where pleasure in food is valued more than nearly anywhere else in Leipzig. Enjoyment and delightful conversations are included as well.

 

Address
Harkortstraße 3
04107 Leipzig
www.lukullust.de


wheelchair accessible
 

Public transport:
Tram 8, 9 (station Neues Rathaus)

Leipzig, Lutherkirche

 

The Luther Church (Lutherkirche) has a 58m high tower and was built in the territory of the Johannapark in neo-Gothic style between 1883 and 1886. When Julius Zeißig designed the building, he was as young as 28. The church survived Second World War bombardments without damages. The organ was completed in 1886 as well by the Borna organ builder Richard Kreutzbach, yet it was damaged just two years later by fire. It underwent a restoration in Saalfeld before it was newly dedicated in August 2000. In 2002, the parish of the Lutherkirche was merged with the Thomaskirche parish which, on its turn, represented a merger of the former two parishes of St. Thomas und St. Matthäi; today, the Lutherkirche is used only casually for church service. It became integrated into the concept of the forum thomanum to complete a central function as a place of worship, school auditorium, concert hall, theatre and recording studio.

 

Address
Ferdinand-Lassalle-Str. 25
04105 Leipzig
www.forum-thomanum.de


with help accessible for wheelchair users


Public transport
Tram 1, 8, 14 (station Westplatz)

Leipzig, Markt

© Bach-Archiv Leipzig/Gert Mothes

 

The Leipzig market square (Markt Leipzig) is located in the city centre. The city coat of arms is embedded into the mosaic pavement at the centre of the 10.000m² square. The eastern length is framed by the arcades of the Altes Rathaus (Old Town Hall, 1556), the oldest still existing building on the square. Some of the historic buildings on the north side were rebuilt after World War II, for example the Alte Waage (Old Weigh House). The southern length is framed by historic buildings such as Königshaus (Kings' House) and Barthels Hof (Barthel's Court) as well as new and altered buildings, which imitate historic silhouettes.Early on, the market square was the centre of public life, a great share of the goods handled during the fairs were traded here. Before 1500, the market square was also the scene for knights festivals while at the same time being the place of public executions and political demonstrations.Nowadays, city festivals, markets, and fairs take place on the market square, also of course the Leipziger Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas fair), one of the most traditional of its kind in Germany.

Address
Markt
04109 Leipzig


wheelchair accessible


Public transport
S-Bahnlinien 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5X (station Markt), Tram 4, 7, 15, 16 (station Augustusplatz), 3, 9 (station Thomaskirche), Bus 89 (station Markt)

Leipzig, Mendelssohn-Haus

 

The Mendelssohn-Haus (Mendelssohn House) in Leipzig, 12 Goldschmidtstraße, has been preserved as the last and sole private residence of the composer Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy. It is of great historical and cultural importance. Built in 1844, in the style of Late Classicism the house is an important witness of its time and it preserves much of the original building and information about its most prominent occupier who lived with his family on the 1st floor beginning in 1845 and died here November 4 in 1847. Today, Mendelssohn's flat is a museum in honour of this brilliant German composer, virtuoso and conductor who was also a very good painter and active in the field of cultural and educational policy. The visitor can experience this flat as an authentic place where many progressive ideas for the European musical life and the world of thought came from.

 

Address
Goldschmidtstraße 12
04103 Leipzig
www.mendelssohn-stiftung.de
 

Public transport
Tram 4, 7, 15, 16 (station Augustusplatz)

Leipzig, Michaeliskirche

 

The Michaeliskirche (St. Michael’s Church), along with Peterskirche (St. Peter’s Church) and Altes Rathaus (Old Town Hall), forms part of the main north-south axis running through the city centre. The church with its marble alter is therefore not set up to face east, like usual, but instead faces north. It was built between 1901 and 1904 as a successful synthesis of Art Nouveau and German Renaissance elements, the monumental facade with its 72-meter high steeple bearing witness to the prosperity and self-confidence of Leipzig’s bourgeoisie at the turn of the century. The interior is marked by noteworthy wood carvings on the galleries, pews and pulpit, colourful choir windows, and the original, three-manual Sauer organ with 46 stops and an ornately carved Art Nouveau front.

Address
Nordplatz 14
04155 Leipzig
www.michaelis-friedens.de


wheelchair accessible


Public transport
Tram 12 (station Nordplatz)

Leipzig, Musikschule »Johann Sebastian Bach«

 

The »Johann Sebastian Bach« School of Music is the second-largest music school in Germany after Hamburg. Offering a large choice of courses in dance and music – on virtually every instrument and in every musical style – it fosters individual musical, dance, artistic and creative skills in children, teenagers and adults. The forerunner of today’s music school was the Volksmusikschule (»People’s Music School«), founded in 1951, and in 1960, with the addition of dance and art, renamed Volkskunsthochschule (»People’s Art University«). In 1985, it was named after Johann Sebastian Bach and since then has maintained an internationally successful youth symphony orchestra. Later, a big band and a brass band were created there. The music school is a public institution run by the City of Leipzig and has partnerships with educational establishments and cultural institutions such as the Leipzig Gewandhaus.

 

Address
Petersstraße 43
04109 Leipzig
www.musikschule-leipzig.de

wheelchair accessible
 

Public transport

Tram 2, 8, 9, 10, 11, 14 (station Wilhelm-Leuschner-Platz)

Leipzig, Nikolaikirche

Foto: LTM/Andreas Schmidt

 

One of the oldest churches in Leipzig, the Nikolaikirche (St. Nicholas’s Church) has always been closely connected with the city’s history and the lives of its inhabitants. It may be this special connection which the citizens feel they have with their city and parish church that has engendered the persistent changes the church’s exterior and interior went through. Whatever shape St. Nicholas’s Church took as is was developing from the original Romanesque basilica with its massive twin tower assembly to a Gothic hall church which became extended by another tower before it underwent a classicistic re-design of the interior: the church has always reflected the self-understanding of the citizens.

When it comes to musical activities, St. Nicholas’s Church has been affiliated to its neighbouring church St. Thomas’s Church (Thomaskirche) from time immemorial. While St. Nicholas’s Church is regarded as Leipzig’s main parish church, it never employed an own choirmaster and organist. Instead, it was the choirmaster of the Thomasschule – and, during his Leipzig period between 1723 and 1750, Johann Sebastian Bach, too – who was responsible for the church music performed in the two main churches St. Nicholas und St. Thomas, as well as in the New St. Matthew’s Church (Neue Kirche St. Matthäi) and St. Peter’s Church (Peterskirche).

Please find a seating plan here.

There are many columns in St. Nicholas’s Church.

BF_Orte_Leipzig, Nikolaikirche_Saeulen.JPG


Address
Nikolaikirchhof
04109 Leipzig
www.nikolaikirche.de


wheelchair accessible


Public transport
5 bis 10 Min. zu Fuß vom Hauptbahnhof

Leipzig, Opera

 

The city’s history of opera is one of the oldest in Europe. The first opera run in Leipzig – and, after Venedig and Hamburg, the third public opera house existing worldwide – was established in 1693. Throughout the three centuries that followed, this opera saw a large number of first performances and premières closely connected with the work of famous composers and conductors. Leipzig’s first building fitting the needs of an opera was erected in 1766; after its reconstruction in 1817, it became the city’s first dedicated theatre. Since 1840, the Gewandhaus Orchestra has played all performances given in the opera, ensuring to this day a level of musical performance that is second to none. The Neues Theater (new theatre) opened on the Augustusplatz in 1868. Its focus is on the regular performance of the works of Richard Wagner. Famous conductors until 1890 were Artur Seidl, Arthur Nikisch and Gustav Mahler. This bulding was destroyed during teh war in 1943. In 1960 the Neue Leipziger Opernhaus was opened on the Augustusplatz.

 

Address
Augustusplatz 12
04109 Leipzig
www.oper-leipzig.de

wheelchair accessible

Public transport
tram 4, 7, 15, 16 (stop Augustusplatz)

Leipzig, Peterskirche

The Peterskirche (St. Peter’s Church), built 1882–1885, represents an outstanding neo-Gothic structure in Saxony, and one of the most excellent symbols of the historicism found throughout the German-speaking area. In terms of enclosed space, it is Leipzig’s biggest church with the tallest tower found in the city (88 meters) that dominates the skyline of the southern suburb of Leipzig. A hall church, the Peterskirche follows German tradition, but it also refers to the Gothic style typical in French cathedrals. Its exterior and interior design, structural completion and the role it plays within the urbanistic picture make it a complex artwork of outstanding importance.

Address
Schletterstraße 5
04107 Leipzig
www.peterskirche-leipzig.de


wheelchair accessible


Public transport
Tram 10, 11 (station Hohe Straße)

Leipzig, PROMENADEN Hauptbahnhof (main station)

 

After the German Reunification, the Deutsche Bahn AG (German national railway company) resolved to maintain the striking façade of the Leipzig main station, the largest terminal train station in Europe, and to renovate the building so that it would serve as a point of public interest even beyond the city bounds. A group of private investors from the Deutsche Bank AG and the ECE Group refurbished it, following standards for the renovation of historical buildings while adding some modern elements. Since then, the imposing 300 meter-wide entrance hall has shone in renewed brilliance. The basement and ground levels of the entrance hall, as well as the 250 meter platform were made into a shopping and service center on three floors with direct access to the Leipzig pedestrian Nikolaistrasse area. In only two years, 1.6 million cubic meters of space have been renovated, at a total cost of 250 million Euros.

The Promenades have received numerous national and international awards for representing an exemplary pilot project for the revitalization of historic main stations. Following the renovation of the Promenades, which were first opened in 1997, the shopping quarter in the Leipzig city center was expanded by 30,000 square meters housing nearly 140 businesses. Each day, the Promenades are used by between 80,000 and 150,000 people from all over Germany.

Address
Willy-Brandt-Platz
04109 Leipzig
www.promenaden-hauptbahnhof-leipzig.de


wheelchair accessible

Leipzig, Salles de Pologne

The Hôtel de Pologne is located at Hainstraße 16/18 in the heart of Leipzig's city center. Into the 19th century, three buildings stood on the spot, including the hotels »Zum Goldenen Adler« (»The Golden Eagle«) and »Zum Birnbaum« (»The Pear Tree«), where Martin Luther stayed in 1519. In 1819, C. A. Pausch purchased each of the buildings. To commemorate a visit by the king of Poland Stanisław I. Leszcyński, Pausch named his new property »Hôtel de Pologne«. In 1846, the buildings were destroyed in a fire, after which point construction was begun on what was then to be the largest hotel in Leipzig, with 130 rooms on five floors, a courtyard, and an impressive outdoor marble staircase. In 1892 and 1893, the famous Leipzig architect Arwed Roßbach was commissioned to carve an elaborate Florentine Renaissance style relief for the façade. The hotel was used both as a place in which to spent the night and as a location for parties and balls, which were held in the large (250 square meters), festive Baroque Revival ballroom. This room was completed in 1893 following a design by Ludwig Heim, and had space for 1,500 guests.

During WWI, the building was converted to a hospital, and in 1917 all hotel business was abandoned. Only the ballroom remained open to the public, where parties and culinary events were still hosted. In the years that followed, under the Weimar Republic, the building was used as a convention center, and from the early 1950s until after the fall of the Berlin Wall, it housed the offices of the Leipzig department of conventions and fairs, which converted the ballroom into a blue-tiled industrial kitchen.

In 2008, the Leipzig development company Stadtbau A.G. carried out an exhaustive historic renovation and restoration of the building in order to recreate the its interior and exterior as they had been in 1893. The ballroom was opened to the public for the first time on Heritage Day, on December 9, 2010. Since 2010, the Grand Ballroom, the Green Room, and the Lodge Hall, as well as two foyers and other smaller rooms have been available for use as event space.

Address
Hainstraße 16/18
04109 Leipzig


wheelchair accessible


Public transport
Tram 1, 3, 4, 7, 12, 13, 15 (station Goerdelerring)

Leipzig, Schaubühne Lindenfels

© Schaubühne Lindenfels

 

The restaurant and »society hall« (Gesellschaftshalle) as it was known, was built between 1874 and 1876. Plain on the outside, the building concealed a magnificent ballroom with a gallery running all the way round, supported by decorated pillars, and an orchestra shell. The building was extended around the turn of the century and decorated with a Wilhelminian, art nouveau-inspired façade with a terrace and staircase. Films were shown here regularly from 1913. The cinema on Karl Heine Street became a state-owned operation in 1949 and was named »Lichtspieltheater Lindenfels«. It was renovated in 1956 and remained in operation until the boiler broke down in the winter of 1987. After that, the heating system was shut down and the cinema closed.

Since 1994, Schaubühne Lindenfels has been a Leipzig production and performance venue with an interdisciplinary concept. Its programme features primarily theatre, dance, performance and film, but also music, literature, the new media and the visual arts. Besides its own productions, co-productions with local artists and visiting productions by international theatre companies, the theatre also carries out public art projects and is a focal point for the development of Leipzig West as a culturally active district.

Address
Karl-Heine-Str. 50
04229 Leipzig
www.schaubuehne.com


not wheelchair accessible


Public transport
Tram 14 (station Merseburger Str.)

Leipzig, Schumann-Haus

 

The Schumann-Haus (Schumann House) is located in a wonderful, classicistic building. Robert and Clara Schumann moved into one of its apartments after their wedding in September 1840. Today, the bel étage, where the famous couple lived during the first four years of their marriage, accommodates a museum. The other rooms of the building are used by the Clara Schumann school, a private elementary school.In the house in Leipzig’s Inselstraße, Robert Schumann composed the »Spring Symphony«, which established his fame as a world-renowned composer. He also wrote numerous articles for »Neue Zeitschrift für Musik«, a music journal he had founded in 1834. Sharing a life with her husband, Clara Schumann, who had already made a name for herself as a pianist performing under her maiden name Clara Wieck, was inspired to develop new thematic interests and perfect her art. Also during this period, the couple’s two daughters, Marie and Elise, were born in the Inselstraße house.The Schumann-Saal, where today numerous concerts are held, is restored to its original beauty. Here the Schumanns welcomed many famous composers and intellectuals of their time, among them Franz Liszt, Felix Mendelsohn Bartholdy, Richard Wagner, Hector Berlioz, and Hans Christian Andersen, the Danish fairytale writer.

Address
Inselstraße 18
04103 Leipzig
www.schumann-verein.de


not wheelchair accessible


Public transport
Tram 4, 7, 12, 15 (station Johannisplatz) and Tram 1, 8, 13 (station Hofmeisterstraße)

Leipzig, Thomaskirche

© Bach-Archiv Leipzig

 

The discovery of silver in the Erzgebirge (Ore Mountains) at the end of the 15th century brought great economic prosperity to Leipzig. The city’s churches were renovated and expanded over the next 40 years as a result. The Romanesque nave of the previous Thomaskirche (St. Thomas' Church), whose foundations probably dated back to 1160, was hence demolished in 1482 and a new Late Gothic hall church was erected, which was consecrated in 1496 and still stands today. With the exception of the steeple, which took on its final form in 1702, nothing of the St. Thomas Church’s architecture has changed since then.

The most severe alterations to the interior decoration of the church resulted from the renovations of 1884–89, during which the entire Baroque-era decor, from the period when Johann Sebastian Bach was active at St. Thomas' Church, was removed. Since then the interior of the church has been neo-Gothic in style. The first thorough restoration of St. Thomas Church in over 100 years was made possible following the reunification of the two German states. This was largely completed by the 250th anniversary of Bach’s death on July 28, 2000. The construction of the new Bach organ was also part of this project.

Please find a seating plan here.

Address
Thomaskirchhof
04109 Leipzig
www.thomaskirche.org


wheelchair accessible


Public transport
Tram 9, bus 89 (station Thomaskirche)

Leipzig, Universitätskirche St. Pauli

© LTM

 

The Paulinerkirche was a church on the Augustusplatz in Leipzig, named after the »Pauliner«, its original Dominican friars. It was built in 1231 as the Klosterkirche St. Pauli for the Dominican monastery in Leipzig. From the foundation of the University of Leipzig in 1409, it served as the university church. After the Protestant Reformation it was donated to the university and was inaugurated in 1545 by Martin Luther as the Universitätskirche St. Pauli (University Church of St Paul), later also called Unikirche. Johann Sebastian Bach was director of music for »festal« (holiday) services in 1723−25.
The church survived the war practically unscathed but was dynamited in 1968 during the communist regime of East Germany. After the reunification of Germany, it was decided to build a new university church on the site in the shape of the former church. A new building, the Paulinum (formally: »Aula und Universitätskirche St. Pauli«, i. e. »Assembly Hall and University Church St. Paul«), was built on the site beginning in 2007. The opening will be in December 2017.

 

Address
Augustusplatz 10
04109 Leipzig

wheelchair accessible
 

Public transport
Tram 4, 7, 15, 16 (station Augustusplatz)

Leipzig, UT Connewitz

 

UT Connewitz is Leipzig’s oldest surviving picture house and one of the oldest in Germany. The first film was screened here on Christmas Day, 1912. The name »UT«  (standing for Union-Theater) is a reference to »Union«, one of Germany’s most successful cinema chains in Germany, of which U.T. was the trademark. The first owners of our cinema never belonged to this early cinema chain, but hoped to profit from its good reputation by their choice of name ... From the 1970s, the cinema figured among the Leipzig-owned cinemas and was called »Filmtheater Connewitz«. It was then used for a variety of purposes, including Jugendweihe (youth initiation) celebrations and concerts, as well as being a meeting place for the GDR punk scene. UT Connewitz was closed in 1992. In 2001, the »UT Connewitz« association was created with the goal of re-opening the historical picture house as a cultural centre and conserving the building. Since then, it has hosted cultural activities on a regular basis, with concerts, film screenings, readings, theatre and other events.

The stage is remarkable for its architecture, featuring a relief resembling a portico with columns. The auditorium’s interior, right down to the seating – which is admittedly in poor condition – is largely the same as it was in 1912.

Address
Wolfgang-Heinze-Straße 12a
04277 Leipzig
www.utconnewitz.de


wheelchair accessible


Public transport
Tram 9, 10, 11 (station Connewitzer Kreuz)

Leipzig, Westbad

 

The building complex located near Lindenauer Markt in Leipzig’s Lindenau district was built in the 1920s to plans by the city urban planning director Hubert Ritter, and is an example of Bauhaus architecture. Until 1989, the building served as one of the city's swimming baths. After standing empty for many years, part of it was finally converted into a medical centre. The former large swimming pool area was turned into a venue for conferences, parties and concerts.

 

Address
Odermannstraße 15
04177 Leipzig

wheelchair accessible
 

Public transport
Tram 7, 8, 15 (station Lindenauer Markt)

Leipzig, Zeitgeschichtliches Forum

 

The exhibitions and events at the Zeitgeschichtliches Forum Leipzig (Forum of Contemporary History) are an attraction for visitors from the region and beyond. The Forum belongs to the House of History Foundation in Bonn hosting a permanent exhibition dedicated to the history of the separation and reunification of Germany and to dictatorship and resistance in former Eastern Germany. About 3,200 objects and various audio-visual presentations are on display on 2,000 square metres of floor space. With temporary exhibitions and a number of other events, the house is a lively forum of dealing with the past and the present.

The information centre provides more details on the different exhibitions. It offers a reference and media library with a wide selection of books, newspapers, magazines and audio-visual material.

Admission to the Forum of Contemporary History Leipzig is free.

Address
Grimmaische Straße 6
04109 Leipzig
www.hdg.de


wheelchair accessible


Public transport
Tram 4, 7, 15, 16 (stop Augustusplatz), bus 89 (stop Reichsstraße)

Leipzig, Zoo

© Zoo Leipzig

 

The Zoo Leipzig was founded in 1878 by a restaurateur, it today looks back upon one of the longest traditions throughout Germany. Ernst Pinkert’s initial intention was to exhibit exotic animals to attract visitors, and he was very successful with this. But the core business was to fade into the background soon, and it took just 20 years for the private zoo to become a public company.

130 years after its foundation, the »Zoo der Zukunft« (»zoo pointing to the future«) keeps up with the most recent developments. Since 1999, it has undergone a complete reconstruction producing more and more adventure worlds offering natural environments to rare. In 2011, the giant tropical hall »Gondwana-Land« opened, in 2016 »Kiwara-Kopje« and in 2017 the high-mountain landscape »Himalaya«.

Address
Pfaffendorfer Straße 29
04105 Leipzig
www.zoo-leipzig.de


wheelchair accessible


Public transport:
Tram 12 (stop Zoo)

Merseburg, Dom St. Laurentius und Johannes der Täufer

 

Merseburg Castle and the nearby Dom St. Laurentius und Johannes der Täufer (Merseburg Cathedral) are situated on a hillside at the western banks of the river Saale.

In 968, Otto I (the Great) founded the Bishopric of Merseburg. It was dissolved in 981, but refounded by King Henry II in 1004 and richly decorated with generous donations. King Henry II, crowned Emperor in 1014, and his wife Kunigunde were venerated in Merseburg; the imperial couple was even canonised later and had altars consecrated to them, foundations raised in their name, and masses said for them until well into the Reformation.

The foundation stone for the Cathedral was laid in 1015 and it was consecrated in the presence of Henry II in 1021. Having collapsed twice, the Cathedral was rebuilt and reconsecrated in 1042. Only part of the Romanesque substance has survived until today, as for example the crypt, which is considered to be one of the oldest hall crypts in central Germany. Choir and transept are dominated by the remodelling between 1230 and 1240.

Merseburg flourished under Bishop Thilo von Trotha (1466–1514), who ruled for almost half a century. He ordered the remodelling of the original basilica into a Renaissance style hall church in 1510. The pompous remodelling of the castle, the Cathedral, and the chapter house undertaken on his orders still dominate the silhouette of the city.

The first document on the organ at Merseburg Cathedral dates back to the end of the 13th century. However, the document doesn’t provide any details on the instrument, its construction or its position.

Today, Merseburg Cathedral has one of the biggest Romantic pipe organs in Germany behind the magnificent Baroque front from 1697. It was built by the young and not yet established master Friedrich Ladegast (1818–1905) in two stages between 1855 and 1866. He had been called to repair the predecessor instrument, but, in fact, created a completely new organ. Franz Liszt’s Prelude and Fugue on the name BACH had its debut on the instrument in 1856.

Massive changes in the 1960s influenced the sound considerably, but fortunately the original sound from 1866 could be recovered through ample restoration by the organ builder companies Eule, Scheffler, and Wegscheider between 2001 and 2004.

Today the organ is played in numerous concerts, as for example the annual Merseburger Orgeltage (Merseburg days of organ music) in September.

 

Address
Domplatz 7
06217 Merseburg
www.merseburger-dom.de

Naunhof, Stadtkirche

 

Rising majestically on the south side of the market square, the St. Wenceslas Parish Church (Stadtpfarrkirche St. Wenzel) is a landmark of the city of Naumburg. The oldest documentary evidence of the church goes back to 1228, its incorporation into the cathedral chapter occurring only fifty years later. In 1411 it was struck for the first time by one of the many fires in the city and had to be rebuilt. Further conflagrations and rebuilding followed. The three-story altar wall with diagonally placed sides was built by the court sculptor of Zeitz, Heinrich Schau, between 1677 and 1680. The altarpiece was begun in 1683 by Dresden painter Johann Oswald Harms. The complete remodelling of the church in Baroque style followed in 1724, at which time the vaulted ceiling was also put into place.A new organ was built by Gottfried Silbermann’s pupil Zacharias Hildebrandt between 1743 and 1746, being installed in the Baroque organ case built from 1695 to 1697 by sculptor Johannn Göricke. On September 27, 1746 the organ was tested by Johann Sebastian Bach, cantor of Leipzig’s St. Thomas Church, and organ-builder Gottfried Silbermann. The instrument was restored and expanded several times. During the latest repair phase from 1993, the organ was restored to its original state from 1746.Also worth mentioning is the costly interior decoration, such as two paintings from the workshop of Lucas Cranach the Elder (»Let the children come to Me« and »The adoration of the Magicians«) and the tombstone of August von Leubelfing, page of the Swedish king Gustav Adolf.

 

Address
Topfmarkt
06618 Naumburg
www.kirche-naumburg.de

Naunhof, Turmuhrenmuseum

 

The city of Naunhof lies about 20 kilometers south of Leipzig. The surrounding area is dotted by lakes, and has two large waterworks that supply several regions of Leipzig with drinking water.The area was first settled by »Germans« in around 1150. In the years that followed, a margravial court was established there, on the route from Grimma to Leipzig. The margrave's castle was destroyed in 1223 by the Landgrave of Thuringia. At the end of the 19th century, a period of industrialization in the area saw the construction of two waterworks and the Wagner & Sons Merino wool textile mill. The city's standard of welfare increased, which also led to the construction of Gründerzeit villas there over the next several years.The history of time measurement began around 300 B.C. with the creation of the sundial. And since 1300, clock towers with gear works had been developed and improved with the technological advancement of subsequent centuries.The mission of the Naunhof Clock Tower Museum, the first of its kind in Saxony, is to preserve historic Saxonian craftsmanship. Following the foundation of the responsible society in 1993, the museum was opened two years later in an historic timber frame house that had previously been a girls' school. It houses displays of the inner works of mechanical and electric tower clocks and other large clocks, built across four centuries.In addition to rotating special exhibits, other diverse events are held at the museum.

 

Address
Ungibauerstraße 1
04683 Naunhof
www.turmuhrenmuseum-naunhof.de

Störmthal, Kreuzkirche

 

In 1675, the small village of Störmthal south-east of Leipzig, which was first mentioned in records in 1306, began to flourish under the reign of Statz Friedrich von Fullen (1638–1703), who occupied the influential post of electoral war counsellor at the court in Dresden. The nobleman built a castle in Störmthal and saw to it that the village became an independent parish in 1690.

From that time, it is only known that the church of Störmthal, built on the remains of a Romanesque construction, had to be repaired and extended repeatedly. According to a bill book from1722, the church with its pulpit, altar and organ was considered too small, too old and not up to the requirements of the parish. Therefore, the old building behind the altar was pulled down and extended. Supposedly the choir, the patron’s bay and the bigger part of the northern church wall were rebuilt whereas the southern wall extending from the steeple to the altar steps is still a part of the late Gothic predecessor church building. The chancel altar, the font, the gallery and the pews harmonise in their Baroque interior decoration.

The organ by Zacharias Hildebrandt (1688–1757), a disciple of Silbermann, fits in nicely. It was examined by Johann Sebastian Bach in 1723, who considered it a sound piece of work. Bach also inaugurated the instrument with his cantata »Höchsterwünschtes Freudenfest« (BWV 194), performed in two parts before and after the sermon. In summer 2008, after six months of work, the organ was restored to its original condition by the organ builder company Eule (Bautzen).

 

Address
Dorfstraße 44
04463 Großpösna, Ortsteil Störmthal
www.kirchenquartett.de

Wörlitz, Garden and St. Peter’s Church

 

In 1758 18-year-old prince Leopold III Frederick Franz, Duke of Anhalt-Dessau became regent in his small principality at the Elbe River and the Mulde River. Inspired by his educational journeys to Great Britain, Italy, Switzerland, the Netherlands and France he started from 1765 on to upgrade his land by landscape architecture. The starting point and highlight were the English Grounds of Wörlitz which was the first landscaped garden in continental Europe.

In a period of 40 years further gardens in and around Dessau were created and including already existing gardens optically and creatively connected to each other. Several avenues, dike paths and visual axis, often upgraded by smaller architectural elements and sculptures, connect the gardens. This led to the creation of a unique, closed garden landscape that was already named »garden kingdom« by contemporaries. In 2000 it was listed as a UNESCO world heritage site.

The Wörlitz Castle that was built between 1769 and 1773 by builder Frederick Wilhelm of Erdmannsdorff for the newlywed prince couple is situated in one of the oldest parts of the Wörlitz Garden Kingdom. It is considered as founding construction for the German classicism. Its rooms are open for the public since it has been completed in the 18th century.

Today’s shape of the church St. Peter also traces back to prince Leopold. The church is probably a construction built in 1201 where a wooden church used to be. The prince overbuilt the church in neo-Gothic style and built the transept and a new higher tower. It was completed in this shape in 1809. The foundation walls up to the height of the windows, the triumphal arch, the south portal with its two pillars, the vault at the Western door, the tiles there and the sacraments shrine are preserved from the Romanesque period.

In 1900 an organ built by organ builder Rühlmann & son from Zörbig was installed in St. Peter. It is an organ with 14 stops, 2 manuals, 1 pedal and about 1,000 pipes.

 

Address
Kirchgasse 34
06786 Wörlitz
www.kirche-woerlitz.de
www.gartenreich.com

off

simple div

simple div